22 April 2007

A Long Dry Spell Is Over

Through creative horse trading, I obtained a cat-back exhaust system for my Biscayne SS.

Yesterday, we put it on.

Fit is very nice. Something is rubbing though in the back. I think a pipe is against a heat shield or something. Too sore from using my
flabby muscles to crawl under there and find it.

Even though the pipes gigantically huge, they are tucked under the car really well, the rear pipes aren't sticking out hardly at all, very
subtle.

It sounds great! Nice deep note. A bit of a drone from 40-55, but not too bad. The drone isn't too loud, and the radio can defeat it.

Overall the rumble and gurgle are very nice, noticeable but not too loud. My car actually sounds like a muscle car now!

There's a definite seat of pants improvement in the power. The engine revs up faster and seems to pull harder. The vacuum gauge is reading about 3-6" more mercury under most loads, so I think the engine is not working so hard for the same effect.

Special thanks to both Corvette John and Marv! Corvette John for the use of his garage, welder and welding skills. Marv for abandoning his post as observer and jumping in to help. Left to my own devices, I would have skipped the over the axle part.

UPDATE:
I found the place where it's rubbing. There's a little bracket that traps the leads that come from the rear ABS reluctor. I have bent it out of the way and it doesn't seem to be rubbing anymore. If it starts again, I have lots more room to bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.