13 July 2007

On Rifles...

I am trying to decide why I like my XM177E3 so much and why it's better than the guns that preceded it.

The Mini-14 (5.56x45mm 1:10), after accessorizing, was 9.2 lbs. loaded and poorly balanced. The zero wandered and the accuracy was 6" at 50 yards. Aftermarket support was fair, but OEM support was poor. Bill Ruger was another good reason to not own a Ruger product, traitor.

The Poly Tech M14S (7.62x51mm) was an M14/M1A clone. I replaced the stock with a heavy walnut target model, put a USGI flash-hider on it and replaced the bolt with a USGI one. It shot good, but it never really seemed to fit me and it was really heavy at 11.3 lbs.

The Enterprise Arms home-build of an L1A1 (7.62x51mm) clone fit me and was tack-driving accurate. It weighed 12 lbs. including the 4x SUIT scope loaded but didn't feel like it was heavier than the M14S. I really like the FAL! I parted ways with this one because I got poor. Selling it paid the rent for three months! Unfortunately, something got busted on it sometime after I sold it and the person I sold it to sold it to another friend. I feel bad about that, and am as baffled as the current owner as to why it no longer shoots semi-auto.

The Daewoo DR-200 (5.56x45mm 1:12) was a fine rifle. Good balance, not too heavy at 7.8 lbs. loaded, and it fit OK after I changed from the thumb-hole stock to an ACE Ltd fixed tubular. As far as I know, ACE Ltd is the sole aftermarket vendor for the DR-200. While Daewoo is still in business, the importer, Kimber of Klackamas, OR, tanked. Nothing worse than being afraid to fire your rifle because if something breaks, it's broken forever.

The XM177E3 (5.56x45mm 1:9) fit me right out of assembly. The A1 grip and now the MIAD have just made it better. Gotta hand it to Mr Stoner, he got the ergonomics correct. The faster twist lets me use NATO spec ammunition and aftermarket rounds up to 70gr in weight, the 1:12 on the Daewoo limited me to 55gr. Plus, at 7.3 lbs. loaded, it's the lightest semi-auto I've ever owned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.