05 February 2009

Quest For Forearm

I think I have found the solution I like.

The original forearm was a YHM-9634, four rail lightweight. I put on some UTG rail covers and the grip area was way too large of a diameter.


This started a quest for a narrower grip. When Marv built his 6.8 I noticed that YHM made a different forearm that had a rail on the top and short sections on the sides and bottom near the front.


The grip was smaller diameter than a standard AR grip, quite comfortable. Until you do a lot of shooting. The uninsulated aluminum got HOT. So we wrapped ours in parachute cord to help insulate things.


Because the EOTech extends out onto the forearm on my gun, I didn't like the looks and it left a large area uninsulated. I was also concerned that the cord was blocking the cooling holes. I was playing around with the para-cord and the old 9634 and discovered that I could wrap the nubs fairly comfortably.


The problem with this solution was the cord wasn't really on that tight and it was in danger of being snagged and pulled off.

So I bought some ladder style rail covers. This is what I originally wanted to get for my gun, but couldn't find them in black. Since I changed to OD green to assist Geff in his upgrade, I realized that I could look for OD ladder covers.

Viola!


Hey! Even the handle on the bayonet matches!


UPDATE
Ever forget you'd ordered something? AIM Surplus has cleared their back-order and the panels I ordered in December and forgotten about showed up today.

I cut the solid panel in half and put them on the sides where my hand naturally falls. I am not sure I like the feel of it though. I think I prefer the all-ladder better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.