10 June 2009

Early Morning Panic

I reached into my pocket and realized that my swiss army knife was gone!

I have had that thing since my very first field exercise in Germany. I bought it at the Grafenwöhr PX in 1988. It's a discontinued Victorinox Champion. The closest thing you can get now is the SwissChamp, which is thicker and has two extra tools.

It's actually the second one I bought at that PX. The first one was stolen. To help prevent future theft, my buddy Fred carved my last name into the plastic. I mentioned Fred here before, he's my friend whose wife had him murdered.

I found it in the couch, but it was scary to have lost something that has been such a fixture in my life for so long. After all, my knife is old enough to drink. There are only two things in my life that I have owned longer, my drafting table and my camouflaged Zippo.

For someone who was uprooted every couple of years for a good hunk of his life, things like this start to really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.