25 June 2009

On Bill Ruger

He was the founder and CEO of Ruger Firearms until his death.

He came up with several ideas that were later incorporated into the draconian 1994 Omnibus Crime Act (aka the Assault Weapon Ban).

As a result of his actions, I stopped buying Ruger products.

That was years ago and he's dead. Lots of folks still nurse a grudge about him.

I'm still not buying Ruger. Not really from a grudge against the company (but there is a latent grudge there), but more from the habits formed when I was boycotting them. They don't make anything I want that I can't get from another vendor, and I will go to the other vendors first. Vendors that have never endorsed banning their competition's products by law.

Some of the things that Ruger Inc was doing that were a direct legacy from Bill's ownership are only just being reversed. If you wanted a magazine for a Mini-14 that was larger than 5 rounds you needed to go to the aftermarket. Ruger made them in 20 and 30 round capacity, but had a policy of only selling them to police agencies. Bill died in 2002, but they did not start selling the high-cap mags to the public until this year! It's a start, I guess.

Like Smith and Wesson, I am willing to be a Ruger buyer if they do enough to reverse their course. I do like the new Vaquero...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.