08 March 2010

Gun Meme

"One Handgun, One Rifle, One Shotgun. You are able to choose just one of each for self defense with NO modifications."

M1911A1. I'm intimate with the platform and can literally clean it blind-folded.

Remington 870, 12ga 3", extended magazine. I have this on the list because we're supposed to have a shotgun, not that I would choose it over the rifle.

11.5" AR. Light, handy, way more wallop than any handgun despite being .223, sitting here next to me...

Imported Comment Thread:

9th-Mar-2010 02:20 am (local) ravenclaw_eric

Glock, preferably in .45 ACP. I'm a big believer in KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and I've never had trouble with a Glock.

Street-Sweeper, or something similar. If this is going to be for fighting, I want a combat shotgun, not something designed for hunting ducks.

Semi-auto AK clone. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

9th-Mar-2010 12:31 pm (local) mcthag

Considering how fragile the street-sweeper is, I'll stick to my brick-shithouse tough duck gun.

Shotguns are a really odd area for combat. 100% of the successful designs are made from commercial hunting designs. Not a single "designed for combat from scratch" has passed field testing for a major army.

Another annoying "combat" shotgun "feature" is the bulk of the large ammunition supply. When a 20 round magazine takes up as much volume as the entire rest of the gun, you are using the wrong gun/ammo combination.

Which drags us back to the real salient point. Shotguns are specifically for hunting. Any firearm has some utility in combat or self defense, but almost any long gun will be better at snuffing goblin than a shotgun. Srsly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.