23 June 2010

Of Lever Actions And .45 Colt

I am interested in Cowboy Action Shooting.

It looks a lot like the SCA, with guns.

I loved the dress-up aspects of SCA, but disliked some of the rules.

I don't want to complicate my life with an additional chambering if I can help it.

My Anaconda is in the cowboy legal .45 Colt, so it seems logical to look at that round. I can get just about any cowboy revolver in it, I'd love a Schofield repro but SAA and Rem 1875 are also available.

The rifle is a bit of a problem. In the real old west, there wasn't a lever gun chambered for .45 Colt.

Today, however, there are several Winchester 1892 clone makers and some are in .45 Colt. Marlin makes a spiffy Model 1894 just for cowboy shooting in this caliber. The gun that gets my juices flowing is a reproduction Spencer 1865 Carbine.

Oh, what to do, what to do?



Comments

23rd-Jun-2010 07:35 am (local) weerdbeard

how is a DA Colt not an anachronism for Cowboy action shooting?

23rd-Jun-2010 02:35 pm (local) mcthag

If it's a Colt Lightning a DA Colt is A-OK!

I might not have been clear. The Anaconda is not what I intend to use. It's just making me consider making my revolver/rifle combination be in .45 Colt because I already have ammo in that caliber.

I don't already have anything chambered for any other cowboy round (unless you count my .357 snubbie).

23rd-Jun-2010 11:20 am (local) ravenclaw_eric
If my finances permitted, I'd love to have a 45 Colt revolver and one of those Bond Snake-Slayer derringers in .45 Colt/.410. Unfortunately, DA 45 Colt revolvers are rare and mucho expensivo.

I blame the "Dirty Harry" franchise. After that, all the wanna-bes wanted .44 Magnum, and the factories cranked those out in preference to .45 Colt.

23rd-Jun-2010 02:50 pm (local) mcthag
.45 Colt was never a huge seller outside the SAA.

S&W did make a version of their model 25-5 in it, but it's rare as hen's teeth.

Colt made the very fragile "Omnipotent" based on the Lightning in 1878 for the .45 Colt; it did not sell well either. The Anaconda was only around for three years before Colt's financial woes killed off their entire DA revolver line; making it rare too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.