14 July 2010

Izzyfication Of Jasmine

This is how she came.

Then I added a carrying handle and ditched the P-Rail for the sheet-metal dust cover. FALs really aren't tack-driving accurate enough to rate optics.


Then I added a set of Israeli heavy barrel handguards. The standard FN style are way too narrow and they cause unnecessary fatigue from gripping too hard.

Thanks to DSA making a lot more parts in the USA with the SA58 than they did with the StG58, this change does not affect the 922r compliance. Nor will changing the buttstock to a wooden one later because that part was never US made from DSA. Ironwood makes stocks here in the USA, so I should get one of those and my count will go up!

Thanks to Marv I now have a set of light barrel handguards and an Israeli buttstock. The wood sure is handsome!

The HB handguards were modified to fit and were just wrong. Marv heard my whining and volunteered to buy me a complete set of furniture. A loan, really, but still.

I have changed the charging handle and latch to the proper Israeli variations. The Izzy charging handle is unique in the FAL world in that it incorporates a forward assist. A real Romat has a groove cut in the rails of the bolt carrier; the knob of the charging handle can be pressed in, extending a stud into the groove allowing the bolt to be pushed forward. I have not bothered to cut that groove, so the charging handle just works like a normal one. I've also added a leather H&K G3 sling to be more period; the IDF used K.98k slings on their FALs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.