27 December 2010

Semi-Auto Versus Revolver for the Beginner

Jay G has been asked about what would be a good first gun.

One of his commenters has stated the new shooter should get a revolver, because it's simpler and the 1911 is too complicated for a novice.

The 1911 is just fine for a first gun.  I watched over 200 people who'd never fired a gun before learn to disassemble, assemble, fire and clean a 1911 in less than a week.

It was called basic training (OSUT to be nitpicky)

If we'd just offer to TEACH the new people asking about semi-autos instead of dispensing "a semi-auto is too complicated for you, kid," from our Ivory Towers™ we'd have a lot more shooters.

There is nothing about the 1911 that is so complicated that a novice cannot get a functional level of skill in an afternoon.

I am not pulling this out of my rectal cavity either.  There's a reason that the police's scores improved dramatically when the change-over from wheel-guns to autos started in the '80s.  A single action semi is much easier to shoot well than a double action, making the initial shots more likely to be successful giving an more immediate reward to our novice shooter encouraging them to continue shooting rather than saying, "this is too hard," and quitting.  Leaving their "simple" revolver to gather dust in a drawer someplace.

I've taught lots of people how to shoot.  Not a single one has been overwhelmed by the complexity of the extra controls on an auto as compared to a revolver.

Most of the people I've taught to shoot I've taken to the range and let them fire a few rounds from every type I have.  Revolvers and automatics.  None of my students, save one, bought a revolver (and she later changed over to an auto when she found one she could operate; I mentioned her here).

I've watched others teaching their friends and families to shoot as well.  All but a couple of my "students" are still shooting.  A sad majority of the people taught by others are not.

Why?

Forcing the pupil to buy a gun that doesn't suit them is the number one reason; and the number one wrong gun is a snub-nosed revolver.

Why is that a wrong gun?  Double action is harder to shoot well with, short sight radii are harder to shoot well with, and lighter guns recoil more unpleasantly.  This is compounded by the super light .357's that are available.  I believe Jay calls his the "snubbie from hell".  The snubbie I carry from time to time is a S&W 640, hammerless and stainless.  It's unpleasant to fire full power loads with, but it's still more pleasant than the alloy 642 with normal .38 Special loads.

I will not take the position that a revolver is never the right gun.  A snubbie is not always the wrong gun.  I carry one!  I have just found that most people can readily learn an automatic and quickly become proficient with one, even a 1911.  Truth be told, not one of my pupils has ever bought a 1911 because they find John Browning's masterpiece to be "too damn heavy".

My recommendation to the new (handgun) shooter is:

0. Decide what you want the gun to do for you.  You may be in love with a .44 Mag that fits 1 through 3, but it's not a good choice for conceal carry under most conditions.
1. Find a gun that fits your hand.
2. Find a model of that gun chambered for "at least" .380 ACP.
3. Make sure you are comfortable firing it in the selected chambering and are comfortable with the controls.  More than once I've had the student go for a 9mm over a .380 because locked breeches have lighter springs than blow-back; making them easier to manipulate.
4. Get to the range and practice!  Pretty soon you will not be a new shooter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.