25 March 2011

MagPul Post-Script.

I like MagPul a lot.  They do try to do innovative things.

I had not realized until today how much mass I was adding to my rifle by using their designs.

I still have their grip-panels on the 4-Rail, I really like the XTM panels!

The AFG (angled fore grip) was kinda nice, relatively cheap; but a bit too heavy on an already heavy gun.

The MIAD pistol grip is not cheap.

The CTR stock is the real weight hog here.  It's also very expensive.

The main problem with the MagPul products I took off the gun is that they were not providing me with much ergonomic gain and were adding a fair amount of mass for that non-advantage.

When I first got the MIAD, it was the bestest pistol grip I had every tried.  Then the retro bug hit.  Then I took some classes.  Now I am more used to the bog-standard AR grip angle and diameter.

The question for me, now, is do I get the bog standard M4 stock and pistol grip in OD green to match my rail-covers or do I replace my rail covers with black to match my stock and grip?

UPDATE:

The weights of the items in question.

AFG is 0.15 lbs.
MIAD with F1, B2 and 123 core is 0.20 lbs.
CTR-M is 0.55 lbs.

M16A2 pistol grip is 0.13 lbs.
Milspec M4 stock is 0.40 lbs.

It doesn't look like much, individually, but it adds up.

(I also moved the AimPoint a bit farther back and it helped the balance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.