29 March 2011

Property.

Who is responsible if I leave something valuable in my front yard unattended and it gets stolen?

The thief.  No one else.

That I don't leave valuables unattended in my front yard is accepting that thieves abound.

Locking my front door is a similar acceptance.  An unlocked door is not an invitation to trespass.  Even an open door is not such an invitation.

Attempting to shift the blame to the person whose property has been stolen or house violated is wrong.  Perhaps more wrong than the actual trespass or theft.

Making life more difficult for thieves may be a prudent decision for a property owner to take, but that does not mitigate any of the guilt for the thief!

1 comment:

  1. Hear, hear! I probably wouldn't have had those rifles stolen if my front door lock didn't sometimes stick open...but even if the door was standing wide open, that didn't make it right for them to be stolen.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.