06 February 2012

Common Sense Over Aesthetics

I love how the Romat looks!

What I don't like is how the wood makes the gun a pound heavier.  Beech is dense stuff!



As it shipped from DSA it was a 9.9 lb. loaded weapon.

Adding the Romat furniture made it a 10.9 lb. gun.  Changing the aluminum trigger housing made it an 11.4 lb. gun.

The L in FAL stands for léger or light.  11.4 lb. is too much.

So I've decided to give up on the Israeli narrative and embrace the more generic right arm of the free world configuration.  And have a 10.4 lb. loaded rifle.


The things wrong with my Romat were almost legion.  The lower was entirely wrong.  The gas block, rear sights and muzzle were also wrong; with the barrel and gas block being the hardest part to correct.

4 comments:

  1. I prefer that look.

    BTW I'll probably stand down on wanting the DSA lower, as Wally has really peaked my interest in AR-10s.

    Oh and for a brief moment Midway had the new-production DSA 20s in stock, so they ARE in fact making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weight always makes a difference with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What flavor AR-10? That affects magazine selection significantly.

    Rock River Arms accepts metric FAL mags. Armalite accepts a mutilated M-14 mag. The others accept the original AR-10 magazine, and there's a lot of support in Free America for them, including MagPul. A genuine pre-ban in this pattern is very expensive.

    The persnickety will point out that only the Armalite is actually called "AR-10".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll hold off until Wally finishes the project, but its something new and VERY appealing.

      And no its not going to be called "AR-10" Wally has cool names for his guns.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.