15 February 2012

Living In The Future

Living in the future is neat.

Earlier I took a picture with my Android phone.

I emailed it to a friend all the way across the country.

She made it her desktop background and took a picture of it.

I posted her picture on my blog.

When I was a child taking a photo would have required developing the film.  Sending that photo to Seattle would have required physically transporting either a negative or a print.  There would have been no making it a computer background.  To show the picture in her office would have required the same process of taking a picture, developing film and physically mailing it to Tampa for me to see it.

We did this in less than a day.

When I rage about how the world is going to Hell, I have to stop and look around and recapture the wonder of living with commonplace items that were too outlandish to consider even as science fiction even as late as high school.  How do I know?  None of it is accounted for in Traveller, Star Frontiers or 2300 AD.

Here's to living in a science fiction setting!

A pity it's got lots of dystopian characteristics, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.