13 April 2012

Wow, What Happened?

I'm a big fan of 6.8, I think that it is clear from some of my prior postings.

I was an early adopter of the SPC II chamber and 1:11 rifling.

I am saddened to see a "you must do it like we did it" mentality setting in at the 6.8 forums.

I was thinking that a 14.5" barrel carbine gas system gun would be kinda neat.  My original plan was a what-if the Army had adopted the 6.8.  Maybe even a 10.5" gun in a retro configuration.

I asked about where I could find such a thing.

I was told that I didn't want what I was asking for and that the "6.8 crowd" preferred a mid-length gas system.  Yeah, I know that we do.  I thought I was part of the "6.8 crowd".  I also apparently want a 12.5" barrel, 4-rail handguards, expensive optics and a shopping list of stylish things.

I am frustrated that I didn't ask, "what would you build?"  I asked about at 14.5"barrel in maybe an M4 profile.

I already have two middy guns in 6.8.  What I want is something different from those two guns.

Since they were of no help I went looking for barrels on my own.  Several makers do make a 10.5" tube.  What nobody seems to consider worth doing is putting enough seat area for a normal front sight base.  Barrel maker after barrel maker and it's the same story: a short seat area of less than an inch for a low profile gas block.

SIGH.

I don't like front sights mounted to the rails which is what I have to have if I go with such a barrel.

I know what I want to do.  I will accept advice as to why that's a really bad plan so that I can decide if that piece of data matters to me.  I will not accept a blanket statement, "you don't want to do that."  I don't?  WHY?  It's entirely possible that your objection will not matter to my project.  The SBR shorty is intended as a toy, not a tool.  I have a damn nice tool of a 6.8 AR; that would be Dottie.

What I want is a short AR in 6.8.  Conventional front sight base.  Carbine gas system.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.yorkarms.com/receiver_preorder.html

    Talk to Wally. He can probably build you EXACTLY what you want for a reasonable price.

    Just the question is how backed up on orders he is.

    Drop him an email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humpf!

    No offense to Wally, but since the AR is a lego gun _I_ can build anything I need. I just need to find the damn barrel I want rather than the barrel I am being told I want.

    If he can cut and recrown a barrel, I might make use of him to shorten my 16" middy barrel to 12.5" and modify an A1 birdcage flash-hider to be useable with 6.8. The barrel profile precludes using the more standard 5/8-24 threads, so 1/2-28 would have to do, but the opening on the flash-hider is too small. Hogging that out would let me get the hider I want to use for looks. I think the gas port needs opened up a little bit too. I'd have exact numbers when I rang him up for a quote.

    Spikes seems to carry a 10.5" 6.8 Lothar Walther barrel that will fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.