02 July 2012

Defining Moments

I remember this.

At the time guns were not just banned from campus in Iowa, conceal carry was effectively banned in Iowa City (also a nuclear disarmament zone).

That ban did not save any of the six victims.

Of note is the choice of weapon, a high capacity assault weapon revolver.  A .38 Special revolver no less.

I said, at the time, when the press started yapping about banning handguns, "exactly what had MY guns done?"  My guns and I were innocent.  In fact while I was in Iowa City, my guns were more than 100 miles away.

A couple of years later when the Brady act and assault weapons ban were being debated I noted that those laws would not have prevented Mr Lu from getting the gun.  I also noted that none of the laws in place that forbade him from carrying that gun, taking it on campus or shooting people kept him from doing so.

What I really noticed, for the first time, was that five people were murdered and one person crippled for a lack of shooting back.  I had the same feeling with Virginia Tech.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that, too. Scott Maehner knew the victim who survived. I also could have written the script for the reaction: "Oh, guns are TEH EVOL and must be BAND!" instead of "Okay, a nut went nuts. Sorry it happened, but by definition, laws wouldn't have stopped him."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is REALLY a sign of the times is that back then mass-shootings were met with calls for bans.

    VT and on, such shootings were met with people filling gun shops, carry classes, and calling their representation about allowing more GOOD people to be armed.

    All rights should be treated the same. Abuses should be met with MORE HEALTHY exercising of rights.

    ie: Somebody starts lying and slandering, you need to speak out for truth. Somebody starts abusing guns, you start packing your own guns for defense!

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.