09 August 2012

Clarification

A while ago I issued this "challenge".


I've been informed that this was exactly the wrong way to go about it.  But it's a real challenge.  Can Crimson Trace win someone like me over?

It's an active emitter, that has the potential of leading someone right to me.  I've played with a couple of the S&W grips and something I noticed is how often the activation button gets tapped accidentally.  I am not certain that this concern matters.  For where a snubby is useful there's little worry about losing concealment because the target is almost certainly already in visual contact.  For a rifle, what is a laser doing that a red-dot isn't, besides giving my position away?

I notice that there's a laser warning sticker.  These things aren't eye safe, are they?  I know it seems a silly concern when you're pointing a gun at someone, but most defensive firearms uses don't involve gunfire.  It would suck to be sued by a deterred criminal because he was blinded by your laser (or blinds himself with a laser pointer and blames you).

I have found very little out there addressing my concerns.

I issued the challenge the way I did because I don't expect Crimson Trace to offer me free product nor do I have any pull with the big guys.  I can say anything I want because it doesn't change the outcome. But if you think about it, if they were to win over someone who disagrees philosophically with the idea of their product it would carry more weight than a positive review from someone who was apt to buy it on their own anyway.  Example: Weer'd's opinion on firearm ownership has a bit more heft because he used to be an anti.

I am ambivalent about getting free stuff.  Would I remain objective about something that someone gave me?  I don't know.  I do notice the two reviews that stick in my head are both from gratis product.  I don't recall seeing a "I paid for this, it rocks".  Just because I don't recall it, doesn't mean it's not there.

I don't have funding to review much of anything otherwise let alone doing comparisons between similar objects.

3 comments:

  1. I paid for the CT on my Glock, and it rocks. I got it for cheaper than retail because my pistol is Gen 3 and all the expensive stuff is for Gen 4 now.

    It was the CT on my pistol that made my mother want one for hers. And I would have bought it for her, but it was damn expensive and I am poor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I missed the review of the Glock unit. Mea culpa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest I never did an actual review of the CT that I bought. It was more like "I bought this. Looks neat doesn't it?" and then I took it to the range and shot a hell of a lot better.

    Before and after.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.