27 December 2012

The Great Waldo Pepper

It's one of my favorite films.

I first saw it on TV for the noon-time matinee when I was a little kid.

Being an aviation buff from a ripe young age, it instantly appealed to me.

Recently it became available on iTunes (I've never been able to find a copy of the DVD).

A couple of things I noticed.

The wings on a Fokker Dr.1 are cantilevered.  The outer struts are basically decorative and were added to salve the fears of the Luftstreitkr√§fte.  Kessler's losing of those struts and one aileron should not have been fatal.

The movie concludes in 1931 and notes that Pepper dies in 1931.  I don't think that the character really died.  I think his "death" was faked and he started over under an assumed name.  Pepper had been shown having a willingness to lie and assume other identities.  Why not take advantage of flying over the hill in a "damaged too badly to land" airplane and sink it in a lake or something.  They show about ten crashes where people survived in the film, one more is believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try to remember you are a guest here when you comment. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.