25 March 2013

Spec

Getting Tabitha ready for the arrival of the purple stock set from Cavalry Manufacturing.

CavMan is the least communicative and slowest shipping gun parts company I have ever dealt with, by the way.

Cav doesn't offer the purple stocks in mil-spec.  I had two commercial-spec carbine receiver extensions (aka buffer tubes) from Del-Ton in the parts bin, but they're far too long.  Additionally most commercial extensions have a slanted back end.

Note the angle.
So I ordered a replacement extension from Brownells.  High Standard brand.  The Q&A section indicated an OA length of 7.2" so the "way too long" would be taken care of.  Well...  As you can see in the above picture, it's closer to 7.75" OA.  Proper mil-spec is 7.188" long.  It's also identical to the Del-Ton tubes it's meant to replace.

So I enquired of Arfcom's Retro Section.

The UTG-TLU004 fits the bill I was looking for.  Except for diameter and materials it's a mil-spec buffer tube.  Mil-Spec should be Ø1.15" and made from 7075-T6 aluminum.  Commercial is Ø1.17 and is normally made from 6061-T6 aluminum.

Top, UTG.  Bottom, BCM.

Top, UTG.  Bottom, Del-Ton.
Mounted with a spare slider from Del-Ton.
Now, if Cavalry Manufacturing will get off their butts and ship the "we have plenty in stock" purple stock set my readers were generous enough to pay for, we're golden.  Or purple.  Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.