14 April 2013

Confession

Typically I cruise at about 10 over the speed limit.

This normally puts me about the middle of the pack for speed.  I'm going faster than some, and slower than some and pretty close to everyone else.

Last night on the way home the Ka band started chirping intermittently so I dropped down to the speed limit and kept my butt in the right lane.

I passed three speed traps this way, and got two laser hits.  The Precious is a target for the Troopers.

As I am nearing my exit (about two miles out) I'm pretty much all alone except for a car overtaking me at least 15 over.

The Veteran's Expressway splits into two toll roads about a mile before my exit and it's common to see traffic bunch up a little in the right lane.  So this guy gets right on my ass about a mile from the split.  I leave the cruise alone and let him hang because he's got plenty of room to pass.

Then we go right past the split.  He gets MORE on my ass.  Odd, I think, he's had lots of room to pass if he feels I'm going too slow.

Because he's riding me so hard, I pop the car out of gear and coast the last half mile to my exit; and he follows me down the ramp!  I can see in the rear view he's chewing on the steering wheel he's so pissed about me going so slow.

So I do what any hot rodder does when someone feels I am not going fast enough; I go into max mileage mode.  It took a full ten seconds to clear the intersection at the bottom of the ramp and I made nice, gentle shifts at 1,500 rpm or so to inch up to the posted 45mph limit.

As a bonus reward, his girlfriend appears to have figured out what's going on and had him back off.  The farther away from my bumper, the faster I accelerated.  DING!  He can be taught!

I've decided that I need a text banner for the back window.  Letters about 1/4" tall so you have to be REALLY close to read them: "You know, I CAN always drive slower."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.