16 April 2013

Post BAG Day

The main problem for me and BAG day, other than funds, is that I've really got all the guns I really wanted.

There are a couple that I kinda-sorta want, and a couple of unobtanium holy grails, but no more must haves.

The closest thing we have to a must do is getting a tax stamp for The Lovely Harvey's platoon carbine so we can put a proper 14.5" barrel on it.

I kinda want a Browning HP, the grand daddy of the wonder nines.

A clone of a CAR-15 R607 would be really cool.

I've a strong hankering for that FG.42/II clone, but it's godawful expensive for the gun, magazines and ammo.

And that's really it.

I want optics for Dottie more than any new firearm.

I blame Tam.  She went and skewered my self-identification.  At one point I thought of myself as a collector, she pointed out and showed that I was merely an accumulator.  Because of that epiphany I have to have a reason to buy a new gun.  Is there something technical about the design I want to grok?  Does it mate with the genuine collections I have going (.25 ACP, Browning or Finnish Mosin)?

That's why the HP is on the buy list, I've got quite the accumulation of Browning designs here.  I've scored all the easily obtained .25's already, I am well into esoteric territory there.  Just the one Finn left to find and it's the most expensive version.  Actually, I've two Finns to find, but I'll never own one of them because there'll be an example of every single Ma Deuce model in my gun room before I find a Kiv/27 carbine.

2 comments:

  1. I'm on my 3rd. First was a new Browning HP, cost me $435 back in 1990 or so. Lost that one (long story). I have a .40 HP that's great but kicks hard for a 40. And a Milsurp HP (I think Canadian) that's a great shooter. They're great pistols, very reliable. You won't be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what my friend is selling beyond it's 9mm and parkerized. I've never seen it, just had him mention it.

    He's got a LOT of guns. He's been acquiring since he got home from Rhodesia with a suitcase full of Krugerrands just as the price of gold spiked for Jimmah. Now he's old and the wealth is long since squandered and he's looking to sell the guns he never looks at let alone shoots. He gives a friend discount and completely trusts my assessments on their value. It's been a test of my virtue, to be sure, to not rip him off at every turn.

    See, Mom? I have integrity!

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.