11 March 2024

Practical (Upated)

Doing some online comparisons of me and my friend's cars.

My Timeline...

The car I learned to drive on was a '76 Vega "Kammback," with 29.4 cu-ft of cargo space and 81.2 cu-ft of passenger space with the seats up.  Seats down changes it to 52.8 cu-ft of cargo and 57.8 cu-ft of people space.

The first car I owned was a '73 VW Passat B1 Wagon.  46.6 cu-ft of cargo space with the seats down and 16.7 with them up.  Passenger space was 139.1 cu-ft with all four seats and 109.2 cu-ft with max stowage.

The despised '83 Mercury Lynx 17 cu-ft in the back with the seats up and 26.4 with them down.  Passenger space was 83.3 cu-ft with four seats and 73.9 with two (tiny back seat!).

The Rust Monster a 76 Camaro Type LT trunk was 6.4 cu-ft (3 of it consumed by the spare) with 85.1 cu-ft for the cabin.

The Silver bullet 79 Camaro Berlinetta trunk was 7.11 cu-ft (3 of it consumed by the spare) with 83.4 cu-ft for the cabin.

The oft-lamented soul-crushingly underpowered '86 Civic hatchback managed 15 cu-ft of cargo with 70 cu-ft of interior.

The Biscayne SS a '91 Caprice Classic had 20 cu-ft of stowage with a cavernous 114 cu-ft for you and five of your friends.  Marv's Impala SS has identical dimensions.  It should be noted that the spare tire takes up about 3.3 cu-ft of trunk space.

Flossie the 2002 Civic sedan had 13 cu-ft of cargo and 91 cu-ft of passengers.

The Precious a 2008 Corvette had 22.4 cu-ft of cargo space and 52 cu-ft of passenger space.

Moxie a 2010 Equinox has 31.4 cu-ft with the back seats up and 63.7 cu-ft with them flat.  Passengers get 104.6 cu-ft with the back seats up.  Doing the math, passengers get 72.3 cu-ft with the seats down.

The Beast a 2012 Caprice PPV has 17.4 cu-ft of trunk space and 112 cu-ft in the passenger compartment.

FuzzyGeff is rocking 12 cu-ft in back and a mere 84 cu-ft up front, the price you pay for the lower roof-line of that two-door '08 Civic.

Marv's noticeably smaller '96 Corvette has a mere 12.6 cu-ft for the junk and 48.7 cu-ft for the people.

JT's 2003 Corvette has 25 cu-ft under the hatch and 51.8 cu-ft in the passenger compartment.

His '08 CTS trunk is 13.6 cu-ft with 96.4 cu-ft for the people.

All of the cars listed, except the Biscayne, Beast, and Camaros can have cargo intrude into the passenger space because there's some form of pass-through from the cargo area to the passenger area.

All of the cars listed, except the Corvettes, can stuff overflow into the back seat.

2 comments:

  1. Man, you have owned some wheels in your time. I am impressed ! For me, I've owned four cars my entire lifetime. A '66 VW Bug, a '76 Dodge Adventurer pick-up, an '86 4x4 Surburban and presently, a 2000 GMC 4x4 Pick-up. From 1979 to now, that is my personal vehicles.

    jrg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've owned a few vehicles over the years... The regular cab Colorado pickup I have probably has the smallest passenger compartment of anything I've ever owned except an S10 which was basically the same -- no back seat, virtually no storage behind the seats, tighter than any of my three Corvettes in all ways except headroom. Of course it has an open bed behind and if need be I have a topper cover for it. With the topper on it has a fairly good sized amount of covered hauling space. Topper will probably be deployed next month for the AutoX event I am chairman of (and don't get to race in -- boo). The reason I got the short straw on those duties is because the person who usually does it is doing the open road race at Big Bend that weekend. He has a big enclosed car hauler trailer we usually use but he will have it out at the race. I'll have to be more judicious with what I load in given significantly less space. Cones and timing gear.
      -swj



      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.