17 July 2013

Old Traveller Ships

Erin has posted a neat modification of the old Empress Marava Far Trader.

Link to her design.

Mongoose Games is the successor to the original LBB Traveller from GDW.

Erin's ship under the present rules is impossible under the ancient rules I played under.

In book 2 we'd end up with this:


With Book 5 you get this:


The old rules give a lot less cargo space for a lot more money.  And if we were doing Book 5 combat rules I'd do two beam lasers instead of the one each beam and pulse because you get a Firepower rating of 2 for two beams which is better than two separate 1's on the table.

UPDATE:
With the GURPS: Traveller; Starships rules you get... A lot cheaper, but it takes a hit in maneuver performance because GT uses thrust and mass to determine acceleration, I chose to give it about 4g empty and with 5 sTon per dTon of cargo it comes out a lot slower.  My fuel processors do 16 tons an hour, or 384 tons a day as opposed to MongTrav's 40 per day.


All three versions of Traveller I use don't give as capable a ship as the MongTrav.  That's got a certain frustration value built into it.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to see what I can come up with along these lines using FF&S2....

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.