20 October 2013

Childhood Nostalgia

In general it's a bad plan to buy the DVD of a television show you loved as a child.

When you were five it was great because you didn't know much.  When you're 40+, it's crap and your memories had filled in things to maintain the illusion that it was better than it is.

Land of the Lost and Dungeons and Dragons are two such for me.

Both have moments of greatness, but overall they're kids shows with nothing really for an adult.

They really put how much better children's programming has gotten fairly recently.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is an example that gets trotted out often in this vein, there's enough content that an adult can latch onto that the parents aren't driven insane by high-rotation play.  This is probably a great example because there's an earlier My Little Pony that I think my have broken marriages and cause orphans.

I suspect that DVD's are the reason that the content has improved.  When I was a kid the adults only had to endure Saturday morning every week of kid's programming.

What brought all this to mind was I noticed that iTunes has Space: 1999.  I loved that show when I was nine!  I even had the three foot long Eagle toy.

Dare I skewer childhood nostalgia again?

1 comment:

  1. Don't open that door. Through it lies only pain and heartache.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.