22 October 2013

Times Like This

There are times when the existence of a malicious deity seems so incredibly likely it's not funny.

I scraped the money together to meet up with friends in South Carolina to see the annular solar eclipse.

The left rear tire pressure monitor sensor (TPMS) has decided that being five years old is long enough and is erroneously reporting a flat tire at random.

Yay.  Oh and just replacing one might seem like a good idea until you ask around and find out that the other three are likely very close to end of life too.

Double yay.

Then you start asking around about how much these things cost.  OEM is, of course, the most expensive at $109 a pop.  Those can still be had for $52.  The cheapest option is $41 a hit.

$164 in parts, minimum.  Plus a dismount, install, remount from a tire place (if I can find one that will install "customer parts").  Then they need to be programmed to the car.  If I am lucky, that is included with the install at the tire place.  If I am not lucky... another $80 for the tool.

Why is this such an issue?  Because the TPMS is intertwined with the traction control and active handling system.  When the sensor reports "no air" you're in limp mode.  A great situation to be in hundreds of miles from home.

This is why I am an atheist.  If I had faith I would have to wonder why God had selected me for such treatment.  I would wonder what purpose was served by problems surfacing that are cured by the exact same expenditure as I had squirreled away for the vacation.  Time after time this happens and it's why I never go anywhere or do anything.

1 comment:

  1. Believe me, I can sympathize. If I could scrape the money together, I'd go on a nice long road trip after the holidays. Down to Florida, up to Northern Virginia, and then home.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.