23 October 2013

Wowsers

Last day of Linebacker II.  December 28, 1972.  Blow up a fuel tank at Dien Bien Phu airfield up north.

Let loose a burst of 20mm, kill the tank and every 14.5mm and 23mm around the air field opens up on me!

Pranged my kite they did.


"Holy crap!" says I.  Master Caution and Master Warning are lit and lots of systems aren't working!  A moment later I realize... it's still flying!  I emergency jett and it even pretends to be controllable.

It's not easy to control, but it's flying.  Any amount of roll input causes a pretty impressive wallow, but if you leave it alone, it settles out.  A little back pressure on the stick is needed to keep it level, but it's flying.

I grab a bunch of altitude and get a vector back to home plate.

Amazingly, it gets more controllable at lower speeds.  With the gear and flaps down, it's down right placid.

I managed to land!  Of course I greased it in at about 218 knots instead of the more normal 162 and came in almost flat.


Yes, I am that good.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing it isn't for real---you'd have signed for that plane and be having repair bills deducted from your pay for about the next thousand years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While, yes I would have signed for that bird and had to endure no end of complaints from my crew-chief; the damage was combat related and while regrettable; allowable. Wouldn't even be a board of inquiry.

      Actually I might have been chewed out by my commanding officer for NOT jettisoning the aircraft and going for the nylon let down.

      But my pilot is a 4-star, so Nixon or the joint chiefs would be the ones doing the chewing...

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.