02 February 2014

Happy Birthday!

Today, in 1969, is the day I was projected to be born!

I jumped the gun by almost two months.

A running joke with my mom was that I looked out, saw no shadow and decided there wouldn't be two more months of pregnancy.

I note that the Super Bowl is to start in a few moments.  I'm not a fan of any sports really; so this is just another day.  Since it's televised on Fox, it doesn't even interfere with my TV plans!

Often I'd watch to catch the commercials.  Last year I discovered that YouTube would let me see those without the burden of having to watch millionaires chase a oblate spheroid back and forth down a waste of a perfectly good known distance rifle range.

It's a disinterest where the blame lays firmly at the feet of my father.  He was a pivotal member of a successful high school team according to his stories.  He wanted his son to be interested in sports and there was a lot of pressure.  Pressure that increased when it was discovered I had no aptitude with any sport.

The fact that the bullies in Junior High and High school were all football players did nothing to make the game look enticing to me.

The rabid fans I encounter as an adult do nothing to elevate the game to anything I want to participate in lest I be counted among their number.

2 comments:

  1. I came two months early too!

    Barron over at the Minuet Man also. Didn't seem to stop any of our growth...or facial hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own dad was quite a sports guy in HS and college (had so many letters his name should have been "Mailman,") but, thank the ghods, he knew me well enough to know that pushing me towards sports would not work.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.