17 March 2014

Lurning Kerve

I've bumped against a wall in learning physical skills more than once.

I am definitely doing something wrong, I cannot identify exactly what and thus cannot change anything specific about what I am doing to correct for it.

The end result is a whole lot of flailing around until something clicks and I can do it.

It's why I cannot throw a frisbee or play golf.  I've not had the time or inclination to put in the flailing.

Instructions consisted of a lot of frustrating time listening to someone explain in some alien grunting language what I was doing wrong.  "Then with your mouth tendrils..." is how it felt.  I felt like I could not learn to do it correctly because I lacked the hideous non-human anatomy granted them that made this task simple and they could never explain it to my any more than I could convince someone who is color blind that the top and bottom lights in a traffic signal are different colors.

Grunts like, "let go of it sooner!"  Throw  "No, SOONER!  That was LATER!"

It definitely made a huge number of "fun" activities "work" and since I was no good at them, I was not asked to participate, because the team I was on would lose.  This in turn made them no fun at all, so after a bit it stopped being worth it to put in the work.

This led me to an affinity to mechanical things.  Being a mechanic is dealing with readily definable and repeatable things.  Turn the wrench to the left, bolt loosens; go the other way it tightens.  EVERY TIME!

Yet I help friends out on their cars and it's like I was grunting with the aliens...

I changed the timing belt on The Lovely Harvey's Civic.  Her friends act like I'm some sort of wizard.  There was nothing complicated about it, just some things were hard to reach.

There are members of the car club I'm in who are flat out lost when you say, "did you check the ground?"  They actually look at their feet!

I know how they feel.

4 comments:

  1. You might have been unhappy with the F350 I drove as a kid. Dad ordered it from the factory with a non-standard rear axle. Whoever built the axle - I want to say Dana, but I'm probably wrong - was apparently concerned with the motion of the wheels loosening lug nuts in the direction of travel. When we rotated the tires, 24 of the lug nuts loosened when we turned the wrench left, but trying that on the rear drivers side wheel would get you nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mopar did the same thing at one time. But once you learned they were left hand threads instead of the more common right hand, it never changed or needed nuance or english to unscrew them. Which was my point and as I typed it I KNEW someone would remember that theory that the lugs would loosen as the wheel spun that was actually put into production. I was going to put "unless you've got a '70's MOPAR" but chickened out.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this site, it is very informative for the business personals.Keep on continuing with this.Also visit my page.background check instant We believe that our customers know what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grunts like, "let go of it sooner!" Throw "No, SOONER! That was LATER!"

    Oh crap, I think that grunt is me.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.