18 March 2014

The Bolt Gun

A Fudd rifle...

I want a scoped bolt action.

Not because I need one or have any use I'd put one to that I'd actually do.

I just think that every shooter should have one before they can say they've got the minimums covered.

But there's always something shinier or something that needs fixing.

Then there's conflicting emotions.

Because I don't have a use for one, a cheap one will suffice as well as an expensive one.  A $400 Axis package with scope sits in the safe and collects dust just as well as a mega-buck minute-of-subatomic-particle gun.

But if I finally break down, save my pennies, and buy one; I want a nice one!  Luxurious bluing, polished walnut...  That's more expensive, but less than what a couple of the AR's have run.

Some features I have no doubts on.  I do not want a blind magazine well.  I don't think it's safe to unload by cycling the action repeatedly.  I don't know if I care if the magazine is detachable or not.

I am ambivalent about iron sights.

I am uncertain what the ideal caliber for me is too.  I've already got .308 and .30-06 in the house.  Do I go with those or something like .270 Winchester or .280 Remington?  .270 has appeal since it's the same bullet diameter in my beloved 6.8.  If I reloaded I've have a stronger opinion, I am sure.

And all of that ignores the brand!

I've always had a soft spot for the Browning A-Bolt.  But they're made by Miroku in Japan.  That bugs me for some ephemeral reason I can't put my finger on while I wouldn't think twice about buying a Weatherby made in Japan by Howa.

I don't own a Winchester anything, so a Model 70 has an appeal.  This creates its own sub-debate about pre-64, post-64 and post-post-64.

Savage makes good guns that have a reputation for being more accurate than their price would suggest.

Ruger renamed their line-up and I don't know which is the entry level and which is the high end.  Browning's X-Bolt caused the same confusion for me.

Not sure I'd buy a Howa branded gun, even if I'd happily own a Weatherby Vanguard.

Confusion and indecision reigns!

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I have a few scoped fudd guns in the armory, but its not something I have much interest in. I wouldn't mind a gun I could do long-range shooting with (my club has 200 yards, I could trek a get and get 600, I'm sure there's a 1,000 someplace in Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont...but that seems like masturbation for how much time I'd be willing to put in)

    I kinda have a cartridge picked out....I really dig the looks of .300 WSM, but I guess I'd make do with .30-06, but since I'll be making multiple shots, and likely make them too fast by distance shooting standards I want a bolt gun with a heavier barrel. Doesn't need to be 4" thick, but it can't whip like bucking bronco as the bullet sides down the rifling either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a CZ-550 FS: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/

    If it's going to be a statement piece, make a STATEMENT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you don't want the Mossberg ATR that I have because it has a blind magazine, but the 4x4 is a nice looking piece, and it can be had in walnut and blued steel. Little pricy on that one though. The Ruger American is the entry level, it has a detachable rotary magazine but has a synthetic stock, it runs for a little less than 500 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tread through Remington 700 and Model Sevens, Weatherby Mark V's and Vanguards, Savage bolt arms, old Mausers/Husqvarnas re/chambered in everything from .35 Whelen to .243 Win., had a Christensen based on a 700 action and a couple Winchester Model 70's. What remains are both of my Model 70's, every Mauser and Husqvarna ever purchased and the lone Savage.

    I like my Model 70 featherweight in .270 Win the best. I still own .35 Whelen Husqvarna, .308 Husqvarna, .30-06 Husqvarna, Model 70 .30-06, the featherweight .270, a Savage in .22-250, a Mark V in .300 Wby and a Vanguard in .223. The model 70's have the three position safety and I have become a big fan of that and how the bolt disassembles. I am searching for a .375 H&H Model 70 to add back to the inventory.

    For caliber, my suggestion is always a .30-06 first. Even though they are ballistic twins in some cases, this is closely followed by .308 for short action goodness. The .270 Win and the .300 WSM are useful thoughts as well. There is no doubt that everything from .243 to .35 has a use, these four are about as good of single-caliber multitaskers as I can come come up with. The .260, .280 and 7mm are also all good. They are just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading this again... there are two others that remain. The Mark V in .300 Wby and the Vandguard in .223 are still here as well.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.