02 August 2014

Holding It Wrong

The Glock 17 shot very low and left out at Hernando.

It shoots fine today at Florida Firearms Academy.

The way I had been holding it was causing me to pull it left as I was pulling the trigger.  Moving my strong hand thumb down cured it.

Near as I can tell, all of my other autos have something for my strong thumb to bear on shooting the old way.  That keeps the sympathetic clench from moving the muzzle off target.  The Glock is unsupported there.  Moving the thumb to bear on the other hand a bit cured it!

Happy dance!

I am now content with the relentlessly mediocre plastic fantastic.

It's also slowly dawning on my that since there's a Glock 17 in the house that a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 would be fun.  That's a whole lot cheaper than a 9mm AR and I already have magazines thing comes to bear pretty hard.

2 comments:

  1. "Near as I can tell, all of my other autos have something for my strong thumb to bear on shooting the old way. That keeps the sympathetic clench from moving the muzzle off target. The Glock is unsupported there."

    Check in dry fire, but another problem a lot of people have it that the square cross-section of the grip causes people's trigger fingers to contact it on the right side of the gun behind the trigger guard while they're pulling. A little less finger on the trigger can help that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm clear there (I even got the gun out to make sure.)

      Way back in '88 I didn't have any problem with Glock 17. What I think happened is I learned a new way of shooting that works great on the 1911's and Hi Power but sets me up wrong on the 17, but oddly not on the 21. Happily, the way that works on the 17 doesn't hurt my shooting with the Browning designs. I should have Harvey take a pic or two of my grip on the pistol for the expert eye to critique.

      I first speculated I was holding the 17 odd when I noticed the front sight creeping left while dry firing it.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.