20 September 2014

Once Upon A Time

My gaming group in Iowa tended to specialize in what we called "nexus worlds".

These are worlds were circumstances allow off and out worlders.

With GURPS' ability to seamlessly let you create anything you can imagine, we did.

Standing Bear was running one of his standard fantasy worlds with the twist that we could play any character we could conceive of as long as it didn't break the 3e 100/40/5 limits.

I made a Marine from Twilight 2000.

The highlight of this campaign was a dealing with a local merchant.

He was ripping us off and we knew it.  Appeals to the local authority revealed they were in cahoots.

So I upped my bid.

I offered to trade the merchant the entire pile for a "magic egg".

This egg, if you pull this ring here, at exactly, precisely at midnight of a new moon would grant one wish!  A split second too soon or too late and you're dead!  Oh and you must be absolutely alone, if there's anyone within so much as 20 yards you're dead!

The merchant solemnly agreed to the trade and I repeated my dire warning several times.  By the end I even had the local authority asking the merchant if he was sure he wanted to take the risk!

As you may surmise, the "magic egg" was an M67 fragmentation grenade.

When the thing went off three days later at midnight of the full moon, two people were killed; so they assumed he'd not followed the detailed instructions I'd given!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.