28 December 2014

Shootin'

Confirmed that I got the TruGlo sights on the Glock correctly.

Confirmed that the M&P 9 shot.

The little white plastic dealie in the front sight came out, leaving me with a two-dot sight...



TruGlo to the rescue!



Installation in the Glock was easier.  I borrowed Marv's sight tool for the rear and killed my brass punch on the front.  I finished the front with a steel punch, and because I have a deft hand no damage is evident.



Now Marv and I have near identical pistols.  His is newer so it's got the tighter rifling; plus he's got the Apex duty kit in his.

I tested mine with Hornady 135gr Critical Duty and 115gr Critical Defense.  As could be expected from the slow twist rate, the Critical Duty didn't group as well, but it grouped well enough that I wouldn't feel defenseless with a magazine full; it's just the 115gr grouped much better.

Critical Defense 115gr at the 10 and Critical Duty 135gr at the 9.  The lack of a dot on the front was goofing with my elevation aim for some odd reason.  115gr DOES group better, but I'd not call the heavier round inaccurate.  I did no testing with NATO spec 147 grain.


Harvey's pistol will soon have TruGlo sights as well, Marv's Christmas present to her.  SHHHHHH!  Don't tell her.

I don't think she reads the blog...

Related to Harvey's gun, the sear block housing I bought from Midway as insurance against mine being an early small sear spring gun...  It wouldn't fit in my gun since mine is after the change-over.  However, it should work in her gun, allowing us to self-install an Apex kit in her gun, should she want one.



I am on the fence with the Apex kit for me.  I shoot well enough without it; but I like the positive reset Marv has.

2 comments:

  1. make sure you give the trigger a good 1,000 pulls (dry or otherwise), Jay has an M&P45 that he got new as a T&E and I referred to it as a "Terrible example of a trigger", the takeup was too loose to be a "Good" double action (opinion of course) but the break was too vague and stiff to be a "Good" double action.

    I shot it last year after some solid use by Jay, and it's still not a GREAT trigger, but it is much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the gritty feeling is from the firing pin block moving up and down. What I don't like about it is how vague the reset is compared to my Glock or 1911s. It's super crisp compared to the Hi-Power though.

      The break is clean and there's no overtravel. Take up is straight foward and getting smoother as the firing pin block is getting worn in.

      What I dislike about Marv's Apex equipped gun is the huge distance where the trigger is doing nothing. It's like they moved the entire show to the last few mm of travel. Reset is all the way back there too, so the second shot doesn't show it so bad.

      It's deserving of a post of its own, but the more variety I shoot the less small discrepancies in the triggers bother me or affect my shooting. This may keep me from ever becoming a great shot, but it's allowing me to be an acceptable shot with just about anything.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.