10 January 2015

Free Tuition

As if some people weren't already getting free rides...

As I mortgaged my life getting my bachelor's in business admin I had many fellow students who weren't paying a dime of their tuition.  Tuition is a welfare benefit.

Because we were taking economics classes it was easy to recognize that a student without debt could accept a lower wage than one with outstanding student loans.

It worried me that I'd have to compete with those people once we graduated.

Turns out that the vast majority of the students who are getting their tuition covered by welfare don't complete their degree.  Of those who do, vanishingly few go on to get a job.

How do I know that?

The Lovely Harvey worked in financial aid for a national for-profit university and part of the job was tracking the people who were receiving welfare tuition and their success rates, including placement.

Sadly, giving nearly all of these students an education is a waste of money and I needn't have worried that I'd be competing with them in the workplace.

PS: Thanks to Harvey's position, I ended up getting half price on tuition so I didn't borrow near what some did, and since I was a good student, got quite a bit of merit grant money too.

1 comment:

  1. it follows with the proven adage that give someone something for free and they don't value it! make them work for it and they treasure it and use it!

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.