04 January 2015

Specialization

Or overspecialization.

Tam linked to this.

While I think that he's not wrong, I don't think he's precisely right either, plus he expressed it in the most contemptuous and insulting way he could.  Has he applied to H&K?  He hates me and I suck.  (also a couple of years later kind of reverses his position a tad by suggesting that there isn't one true way to learn).

Shooting the same gun with the same loads will improve your shooting with that gun.  But does that mean your getting better at shooting?

Inadvertently doing the challenge with my .38 Super Gov't Model did noticeably improve my shooting with that gun.

It didn't seem to improve my shooting with other guns as much.

Shooting my Glock 17 recently taught me more about my technique than several hundred rounds through the .38 Super.  The change in shape and grip angle led me to notice that I was holding all of my pistols in such a way as to pull to the left.  The Glock accentuated this tendency.

I saw the improvement in my test firing of both Harvey's and my M&P 9s.

Unpossible!

What I've noticed more than once at the range is the people who shoot a large variety of guns tend to shoot solidly similarly with most of them.

The people who specialize tend to be miserable with unfamiliar guns.  I get to see this because variety is interesting and I get more than a couple requests to try out something strange Willard or I have brought to the range.

3 comments:

  1. I won't lie, the more time I log with my double-action revolver, the better I tend to shoot with everything. Probably because of the trigger control necessary with a long heavy DA pull.

    That being said it hones skill, but doesn't polish it. For that you just need to log trigger time with the gun you need work on the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, no insult intended, but you took all the wrong things away from that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's face it: a lot of gun owners have no goals at the range beyond turning money into noise.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.