14 February 2015

Adventure!

The replacement stocks for the Star B are, as I mentioned, dry as a bone.

I went to Home Depot and bought a quart of boiled linseed oil.


Before applying any oil.
A light base coat applied and doing the ten minute soak.
Excess wiped off and sitting for the overnight dry.
Linseed oil smells familiar.  I can't remember where I've smelled it before, but the memories are saying I have without telling me where.  I don't do woodworking, and nobody in my family really does either.  Strange.

Linseed oil is something of a mythical substance to me because we had many manuals about the care of the pioneer tools for the tank that specified using linseed oil to protect the wood, but I never once saw a can while I was in the Army.

6 comments:

  1. Back pre mid 70's, when a glass window pane had to be re-installed in a wooden frame. you used mastic made from fine powder clay and linseed oil. After drying a bit, the frame and mastic could be painted with oil based paint. Same stuff was used to seat drain sinks in the pre-silicone era. I am probably 10 or so years older than you, so remember this clearly as one of my uncles was a house painter and lived with the stuff for these and other paint related use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually smells pleasant to me, mainly because of the related memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever break in a baseball glove by rubbing it with linseed oil? That might be where the remembered smell comes from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only organized sport I ever played was hockey, so that's not it.

      The memory is vaguely of a whole room smelling like this. A place I went often.

      Delete
    2. Regarding baseball gloves, I think you're confusing linseed oil with Neatsfoot Oil.

      As for linseed oil, it's often cut 50-50 with mineral spirits when used for finishing wood, it penetrates more deeply when you do so. An old empty glass bottle or jar is good for keeping a mix available.

      PLEASE NOTE: RAGS USED TO APPLY BOILED LINSEED OIL SHOULD NOT BE WADDED UP AND PILED UP IN A CORNER, THEY CAN SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST AND START A FIRE.

      Delete
  4. The rags used were wadded up and thrown into a fire! We have a firepit in the back; it seemed a prudent way to make sure they didn't burn where we didn't want them burning.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.