03 August 2016

At A Local Gun Shop

Willard and I discovered a Winchester 670A in .30-06.  $375 and sitting on the used rack with a Burris scope already attached.

Information on it is scanty.  All I have is that it was a cheapened version of the already cheapened for 1964 Model 70 with a blind magazine and pressed checkering on less expensive grades of wood (like beech instead of walnut).

That small amount of information makes me immediately wonder how much Model 70 is still in there and if it could be upgraded to the same standards.  Or if it needed to be upgraded at all.

The blind magazine is what scares me the most about this rifle.  It's a feature I have always sought when doing my bolt-gun agony.

And, of course, it's not a real Winchester...  First it's not real because (do I have this right?) they stopped making REAL Winchesters in 1964.  Second the original Winchester went bankrupt in 1979...

Oh, never mind that second one since the 670's production run was from 1967 to 1973.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/guns/rifles/what-do-you-think-of-a-winchester-670-30-06win-cant-find-much-information-on

    Sounds like a good rifle, but according to their valuation, the LGS may be a little on the proud side of it at $375. That depends I suspect on what the Burris scope is. If its worth a couple hundred by itself then possibly $375 isn't that far off.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.