29 September 2017

Why Marlin

When you start talking .30-30 lever guns, before you run into rarities, you have to decide between the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 336.

With over 7.5 million made over 118 years of production, the '94 isn't hard to find.

With over 3.5 million made over 69 years of production, the 336 is hardly rare.  Plus it's based on the model 36 made from 1936 to 1948 which is, in turn, based on the Model 1893 with over a million made from 1893 to 1935.

If you can't find a Marlin .30-30 you're not looking very hard.

Both guns come in enough variations that even a Luger collector would be sated.

But why pick the Marlin over the Winchester?  Especially since the Winchester is touched by the hand of Browning?

The '94 is better looking and lighter.

For me, the Marlin simply fits better and the action feels smoother.

I don't think one is stronger than the other, they both use a rising block to lock the rear of the bolt.

While it's easier to put a scope on top of the Marlin, it's not a feature I wanted in a lever gun.  In fact I'm shopping for a Lyman or Redfield peep for my 30AS.

The Marlin is definitely cheaper!

Both guns are still being made and both have reputations that the newer guns are not as good as the older guns.

Winchester is Pre-64 > Post-64 > USRAC > FN > Miroku.

Marlin is No-Safety > Safety > Remlin

This is yet another gun thing that comes down to personal preference and there's no objective right answer.

3 comments:

  1. I have one of the last USRAC made Model 94s which I bought new around the time they were closing down the US factory. I've never been all that happy with it... disappointing accuracy and overall it kinda feels "Meh". Pre-64 models definitely seem better made. But very spendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marv has a Post-64 that was rode hard and put away wet its entire life. It's loose and rattles, but locks up correctly and shoots good.

      Delete
    2. Even new most of the Post-64 Model 94s are loose and rattle, I'd hate to see one that is worse. Mine shoots to plus or minus a pie plate... but it doesn't compare well to most of my bolt rifles. Perhaps my expectations are too high?

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.