09 October 2017

Tempting Two Seventy

Did a more thorough inspection of the Savage 110 at the local pawn.

$205 out the door would take it.

$50 for a take-off stock from GunBroker.

$255 ain't bad for a .270 WCF Savage 110, long-action, staggered-feed, blind-magazine, top-bolt-release.

The Redfield scope that comes with it is actually a Deerfield...  Not so great, but we've accumulated several better pieces of glass than it while buying even BETTER glass for other guns.  This, Mom, is why we don't throw things away!

An E.R. Shaw barrel in the preferred-by-some-due-to-religious-fervor .30-06 is another $200.

$455 for a .30-06 Savage 110, long-action, staggered-feed, blind-magazine, top-bolt-release; is less tempting.  Especially when you can get a brand new .30-06 Model 111 Trophy Hunter for nearly the same price; Nikon scope, AccuTrigger®, detachable magazine and all.  It'd be fun though!

An oddity:


Does that recoil lug look bent to you?  How does that happen with a .270?

2 comments:

  1. I don't necessarily see the logic in changing it from a .270 to a .30-06. I understand the "because I can" argument, just not the logic of doing so.

    I would imagine keeping it in .270 and saving up the extra money to get the .30-06 Savage 110 would give you two rifles in two different arguably "equally effective" calibers.

    Which is what I would do if I wanted rifles in .270 & .30-06.

    Or just get the .30-06 if that was the end goal.

    Having more rifles is not necessarily a bad thing.

    The recoil lug does look bent. Possibly occurred in manufacturing or during maintenance or "field exercises".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some who take chambering to near religious zeal levels.

      Since a barrel swap on Savages is relatively simple compared to other brands and that the base gun is relatively underpriced, the question of changing the caliber came up.

      I've got both .30-06 and .270 guns. .270 was a dual purpose for me. First Wal Mart never ran out during the Great Ammunition Panic. Second it would tweak my .30-06 v .280 Remington warring uncles that I picked their mutually despised round (when in truth there isn't but a whisper's difference between all three).

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.