31 October 2017

We Don't Need More Victim Classes

This is going to seem insensitive, but I've read this refrain before.

Someone experiences something beyond the pale, it leaves them a wreck.  It leaves them unable to function in normal society and endure the everyday things that culture does.

But do I need to change what I'm doing because it might be hard on someone who's been broken by a genuinely traumatic experience?

No.

Because that's not where it ends.  We will have to further reduce our activities so as to not offend those who think they've experienced that trauma, or are related to someone who has experienced it.

So I am saying, "No!"

No, I wasn't the person inflicting the trauma.  No, I will not change what I do to sooth their nerves because I've already seen what the accommodation leads to.

No, we don't need another class of victim to worry about offending, who can come to rule every aspect of my life because someone who isn't me did something morally and legally wrong.

Want to fix this?  Get that victim into therapy so they can endure the world around them rather than demand the world change to suit them.  Find and arrest the criminals for what they did.  Convict and punish the criminals.

I know this comment will have the same effect of a turd in a punch bowl, but it's simply yet another straw on the camel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.