10 December 2017

40 Years

Somewhere about now...

About 40 years ago I bought my first copy of Traveller.

It was the three Little Black Books in a small box.

I had nobody to play with, so I didn't manage to hang on to my original set.

I replaced it at least three times.

I'm an oddity in gaming that I played in the seventies, but didn't start with some form of Dungeons and Dragons.

D&D came later ('82ish) with Standing Bear's world.  That was only loosely based on AD&D.

Fantasy (D&D type games) was never what I wanted to play.

Traveller, Star Frontiers, Gamma World and Boot Hill were my preferred games just because I didn't really want to play swords and sorcery.  There's even some Stormbringer and Top Secret tossed in here, but I'd play anything.

Twilight 2000 and Traveller were my main haunts for near 20 years!

Often I am amazed that I know so much about Traveller, having been immersed in the setting so long and being fortunate enough to correspond with the people who wrote the original game.  I often forget that the actual rules and supplements don't give information that I'm privy to because of my long running talks with Loren K Wiseman (RIP).

It's also wonderful to see how many different interpretations of Traveller I've seen and played over the years.  Some quite contrary to the intent of Marc W Miller... (waves at Erin).

But it's OK to depart from their intent in that regard since they always intended for the GM to make the universe their own.

SKOAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.