07 January 2018

Like Talking To A Wall

It's a sure law of economics.

If there's a demand for something, there will be a market for it.

If there's no ready way to obtain something, roundabout means will be used.

California has laws that make it difficult to get some guns.

People have figured out how to work around that constriction in the supply legally by manufacturing their own "serialed" part.  Serialed is in quotes because, under Federal law, you don't need to put any markings at all on a gun you're making for your own use.

Thanks to people figuring out the work-around, the knowledge on how to make your own "firearm" is widely available.

There's nothing so innocent that cannot be used criminally.

Since I dabble in "ghost guns"...  I did a lot of research before paying for stuff.

There's a mens rea clause to the law.  I cannot make a gun specifically to be sold unless I first obtain a manufacturing license from BATFE.  However, I can later sell a gun I've made for myself if I mark it that I made it and give it a serial number.  The law is vague about defining "intended to sell" and "intended for own use but sold it later", so be very careful here.

Even if you have the proper manufacturing licenses, you have to mark the gun with your name, location and a serial number.

And pay taxes and fees.

If you're in the business of selling firearms, you also need to be licensed.

The Axel Galvez is in trouble for manufacturing and selling without the proper licenses plus not marking them or paying any of the fees and taxes.

What loophole?  A loophole is where something that's supposed to be banned by law turns out to be perfectly legal under some circumstances.

But clearly, we need more laws to keep people who break laws from breaking laws?  Do I have that right?

Also, you might notice that Mr Galvez got caught.  Not so easy as the article makes it seem, is it?

1 comment:

  1. Perfectly clear to those who can think. Most liberals will fail to understand the sentence, ergo they cannot think. QED

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.