04 March 2018

Range Report

Tonya is back from the range.

5.45x39mm in a nine pound rifle is recoiless.

The thin wisp of a stock is not a serious problem when there's no recoil.

It provides not a whit of cheek weld, so you're bobbing your head around while wiggling the rifle around.  It has a negative effect on grouping.

That bipod sure is handy!

Took it to 100 yards from a start at 25 for zeroing.

I can hold about a 12" group at 100 with it.  Getting old and blind is not for sissies or people whose self image is dependent on all the bullets touching when using a clone of a combat rifle with iron sights.

The range officer wanted to have a look and complimented my work!  I beamed.

I had two failures to extract/eject in the first 20 rounds.  One with the Polish polymer mag, one with Magpul.  The remaining 90 fired fine.

For those scoring at home, that was 60 rounds of Tulammo then 50 of Hornady Custom V-Max.

Groups were similar for both.  Probably my shooting rather than the ammo.  I think.

Mollie Bean shoots much better because the stock is better and the red dot is easier for my eyes.

Tonya is just fun.

Sometime down the road when I get some kind of glass on her, we'll see what I can wring out.  Swapping the optic from Mollie Bean to Tonya is a no-go because the rails are different enough in spec that you have to adjust the latch significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.