17 May 2018

Big-Uns

Curious about a comment here I looked up High-Point's .45 ACP offering.

I looked because it was touted as being preferable to a 1911 if one were to insist on a single stack in 45.

It's larger in every dimension.  Heavier empty than a 1911 is loaded.

Bigger and heavier in exchange for much cheaper and two extra shots.

Nah.  I don't think I will.

The other gun mentioned was a Glock 21.  I have one of those.  It's not a comfortable carry gun here in Florida.  It's too big in every dimension to get away with IWB under a loose t-shirt when it's 90/95% here.  The size and shape conspire to make something poke at your covering garment in a way that gives the game away.

I tried and tried to carry it here and have a box full of G21 holsters to prove it.

It shoots great though!  A bit lighter than a loaded 1911 even when loaded with 13+1 rounds too.

My carry problem reoccurs with most every full-size double stack gun.  So far the only three guns that have disappeared for me have been a 1911, Glock 17 and a Browning Hi-Power.  The 17 fading surprised me since it's the same shape as the 21, just smaller.  It's made me consider a Glock 19, to be honest.

2 comments:

  1. That is why I carry a subcompact - I can do pocket carry with it and don;t have to worry about it printing.
    I briefly owned a Glock 17; I didn't like how it felt in my hand. Have you looked at a 92F or later? I feel they shoot nice, though not as nice as a Hi Power.

    As far as the Hi Point versus a 1911, remember that you can buy multiple Hi Points for the cost of even a cheap import 1911. And no, I don't carry one - it would be as bad or worse than carrying a Glock 21 or a 1911 for printing and concealment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a Beretta M9 around here. It, like my .45 1911, is a nostalgia purchase because I was issued them in the Army. I shoot the M9 better now than I ever did in the service, but it's... just something's off about how it feels in my hand.

      In the summer I pocket carry too. Come winter and the Miami Classic rig comes out and I carry an M&P 9.

      There was a time when I only had the .45 1911 and the Glock 21, I was more able to carry the 1911 in an appropriate holster under a shirt in summer than the Glock. Alas, the center console of the Corvette keeps me from carrying IWB strong side at all.

      I've got a nice cross-draw holster for the M&P that I just reminded myself I have. The problem there is the gain of 20 lbs thanks to all the home stress lately. I need to drop the weight again or buy a size larger shorts and some newer shirts. I'm aiming for the weight.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.