02 August 2026

Why Does Not Answer How

Ubuntu has three "Power Modes."

Performance, Balanced and Power Saver.

Performance notes, "High performance and power usage."

Balanced notes, "Standard performance and power usage."

Power Saver notes, "Reduced performance and power usage."

I have Balanced selected; or so I thought.

Derpyputer was not performing up to spec and it was right after a restart for an update, a browser update and installing a different music player.

Uh oh.  Which of those things broke the computer?

I just endured the slower performance while I waited for my brain to hit a space where I could endure looking for the answer.

Somewhere in here, while tabulating the stats for the Type 64 rifle, I noticed the built in screen would dim much sooner than expected.

So I went into the settings to change the time setting for that.

Turns out there's no discrete setting for that, but this is where I see that "Power Saver" has been selected.

I changed it back to "Balanced" and all is better! 

I have no idea how this setting got changed!  There's supposedly no keyboard shortcut for it, but I suspect feline involvement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.