First, since the Department of War gets substantial exemptions from the evironmental bullshit laws...
Let's build some nuclear power plants!
Call them training centers for the Navy and use standardized designs they are already using in subs and carriers.
Yes, they are teeny reactors compared to the "real thing," but we can compensate by building lots and lots of them.
Electricity production is a byproduct and we can sell it to the local electrical monopoly or direct to customers at cost. Or at the local rate. Doesn't matter.
Any protesters get stroppy and they're threatening a military base not a Department of Energy facility.
I think we could do the same thing with refineries in places like California. Fuel production is a vital national defense necessity.
Run it like Lake City and let them sell overruns to the public.

Any idea who I could send a letter to, in order to volunteer for putting a teeny reactor in my backyard? I mean my whole house hurricane generator is only 10kW, and I have a pretty good idea that most of the time the whole house doesn't take 2 or 3 kW. If they need a place to put some of those, and we could take some power when they're not busy ...
ReplyDeleteWorks for me. And set up desalination plants run by said reactors because clean fresh water is a national security issue. Plus you can make some barge or big ship mounted desalination/water processing plants for forward use during emergencies.
ReplyDeleteISTR Heinlein proposed something like this in Expanded Universe.
ReplyDelete