If the entire point of the NFA process is about taxes and proving the tax is paid; why is it the only tax that requires fingerprints? And photo ID? And a background check?
I don't need any of that to pay my property taxes.
I don't need any of that to pay my income taxes.
"But this is the registration of an item!"
I don't need any of that to register my car.
In fact, after decades of open border nonsense, they don't even check to see if it's actually ME who's paying my taxes.
All of this adds up to prove that the tax power justification is bullshit.
That was before the taxes on some NFA items dropped to $0.
Now there isn't even a tax power justification to this.
I've also noted silence on getting SBR's and Silencers removed from the NFA lately.
Were we so easily distracted?
If the entire point of the NFA were about taxes and revenue, the tax stamp would not cost what it does. $200 in 1934 is about $5000 in today's money. It was meant to be prohibitive to undesirables, and to remove large quantities of previously legal firearms from circulation. We are incredibly lucky that the lawmakers at the time were short-sighted and did not peg this cost to inflation.
ReplyDeleteAnd with respect to automatic weapons, outright prohibition on manufacture and scarcity have done what inflation has not.
Daosus