The term "sound suppressor" refers to a device that reduces the sound intensity of a firearm when it is discharged. The earliest use of the term "suppressor" in this context dates back to a US patent in 1985, while the term "silencer" was originally used by its inventor, Hiram Percy Maxim, in 1902.
It's a quote from Wikipedia generated by the Duck Duck Go AI, so apply the appropriate levels of salt.
If the term silencer is wrong, and was never used and it's always been sound suppressor, what were they called for 83 years?
I am thinking that the youngin's are at it again and forgetting a lot of us old grognards were there when the changes happened.
I watched this happen with "assault weapon".
Assault weapon and assault rifle were terms the gun community itself was using for military look-alike guns at least as early as 1986.
I remember when the gun control people starting using it against us.
I remember when we tried to say it was always referring to a select-fire, intermediate cartridge firing rifle or carbine.
I remember when we tried to say we'd never used it for describing a semi-auto clone.
And I remember when a group of very young internet gun bloggers tried to "take it back."
There are many terms which have been redefined for ideological purposes. The response from sane people has been largely to stop using those terms.
ReplyDeleteHowever, some, me included, continue to use those terms as defined before the idiots took hold. Winning includes not giving up your land, your culture, and just as much, not surrending your language.