12 January 2008

Just So You Can Start Saving Now


I'm going to need one each of everything pictured here.  If everyone compares notes, I'll bet we can have all the parts gathered for the Biscayne by Christmas!



12th-Jan-2008 08:47 am (local) - project
Why are you building a flux capacitor?
12th-Jan-2008 09:23 am (local) - Re: project
Why build a flux capacitor? I can think of many reasons. Time travel can be very profitable.
12th-Jan-2008 09:24 am (local)
I have one of the blue and black thingies attached to my vaccuum cleaner. I think.
12th-Jan-2008 09:45 am (local) - capacitance
What I meant was, why *build* one? Like trying to bake your own solid-state circuits, it's probably easier and cheaper just to pick up the whole shebang down at the corner 7-11. Plus, you can pick up a six-pack and some nachos while you're there.
12th-Jan-2008 08:01 pm (local) - Re: capacitance
Hmmmmmmmmmm, nachos....aughaughaughaugh!
14th-Jan-2008 03:37 pm (local)
I've always wanted to build up a Ford Flathead with a supercharger on it, and put it in a 1979 Ford Fairmont Futura. Who needs an LS9 when you could have a piece of Ford history, especially a Fairmont!

On a lighter note, better buy your 2009 Chevy Corvette, the one that uses the above illustrated engine, whilst you have the chance. President George Bush signed legislation to mandate an average fuel efficiency standard of 35MPG for all cars sold in the US by 2020, up from the current 25MPG. Word on the street is that, because of this, 2009 will be the last year that GM will offer the Corvette. They just can't produce vehicles with enough fuel efficiency to offset the 'vette.

Who needs fun when you have the Government to tell you what to do?
15th-Jan-2008 11:29 pm (local)
Buzz on the Vette forum says that is BS. The Vette can make the 35mpg combined target with few modifications.

The LS3, LS7 and LS9 engines all do not have the displacement on demand systems, and that can be added easily by GM for a 10% boost in economy. I am getting 24 in town, 33 highway. Combined that is 28.5mpg. With the DoD, it would be 31.4 or so. Several people have reprogrammed the ECM and gotten up to 15% more than the stock mpg.

Nothing in the new law changes the, if you don't meet CAFE then pay a fine. BMW pays this because none of their cars makes their class targets and the company fails CAFE. That gas guzzler tax is passed right to you, the consumer.
16th-Jan-2008 12:14 pm (local)
My "on the street" source for the discontinuance of the 'vette was an "unnamed engineer" at GM, speaking in an article on yahoo.com. I didn't realise that the 'vette got that high of fuel economy. It is really astounding what engineers have done to the GM V8 ECMs as of late. My wife's 1993 L35, mated to a 4L60E (GM production code: SUX) only gets 18MPG. Or 20MPG if I'm driving like there is an egg under my foot that I don't want to crack.

I'm glad to know that the gas guzzler tax loophole is still in the law. Maybe someday I'll be able to buy a car like that. Unless Queen Hillary takes it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.