14 October 2005

Playing Against Type

Starz/Encore has The Incredibles in high rotation this month.

I really enjoy this movie. Not just because I am a comic fan.

It's well written. Despite the setting the characters are believable.

The scenes that really get me are when Mr Incredible is threatening to crush Mirage and when he admits that he's not strong enough to live through losing his family again.

In the first, you wonder, "Was Syndrome killing his family the trigger that sends him over the edge?" You know it's a Disney movie and that won't happen on some level, but the scene doesn't reveal that it is aware of the constraints. For a moment you think, "Holy SHIT, he's gonna do it!"

The second scene just stirs my sentimentality. He is willing to do anything, even die, for his family. ANYTHING as long as they are spared. That resonates the same chord with me as "stand between their lov'd homes and war's desolation". Bonus points if you can name where that quote is from without using Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.