27 June 2013

Meaningless Datum

I have been confronted by CMP Distinguished Rifle Badge holder #2083.

Being badge holder #2083 means that you can say that an AR-15 should be run dry and with a chrome plated bolt and carrier; as designed.

This was in response to someone who is having trouble with a full-auto gun in auto.  With a chrome bolt and carrier no less.

Well, turns out that being a CMP Distinguished Rifle Badge holder makes you an unassailable expert because when someone attempted to say that, no running an AR dry is not a good idea his rebuttal was that he was CMP Distinguished Rifle Badge holder #2083.

"Shut up," he explained.

There might very well be something about earning that badge that makes you an expert in what the problem is.  CMP matches are all conducted with automatic fire, right?

That expertise must bring insight to the operation of an AR-15 that eluded the US armed services from 1964 through very damn recently.

However, it has been explained to me that once you have a CMP Distinguished Rifle Badge you no longer need to explain your position, merely state it and present your badge.

If you happen to know Mr #2083, and if he's a nice guy in person you might mention that he's a jerk on an online forum.

Guess what having a CMP Distinguished Rifle Badge means!  It means you can fucking shoot.  It means you're a damn good shot on a known distance range at some incredibly long ranges.

It does not necessarily mean you know a damn thing about the function of the gun.

Just like Jeff Gordon being a good driver doesn't make him a good crewchief.  I mean, he COULD be, but if he were to talk about setting the car up, he'd hardly brag about his driving ability to prove he knows how.

But I have been corrected, now I know that CMP Distinguished Rifle Badge holders are the elite and mere commoners such as I should never confront them.

7 comments:

  1. Navy SEALs use Frog Lube on all of their weapons. It's a food grade (safe around kids and pets) lubricant. I use it on everything I own and swear by it. This from someone that swore by LSA for years, because that is what I was taught and what I taught as a small arms instructor in the Marines. Check out their web site and think about giving it a try. I'm a convert. There motto is "no rust, no jams". So far it has been true.

    My credentials? USMC rifle expert and small arms instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A side note on my creds. At the time I qualed as expert, I shot the 3rd highest score ever recorded at 29 Palms. I shot 238 out of 250.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I get through the two gallons of LSA I bought, I'll give it a shot. It's interesting you mention food-grade, there's a very long warning, in German, on my can of LSA warning you not to use it on food machinery.

    I have to say compared to CLP, LSA is a much better lubricant. And there's lists of solvents that are far better. I hated the M16 when I was in because our cleaning supplies were Break-Free CLP and paper towels with one bore brush for the platoon. Just five rifles in the platoon because we were tankers. Being able to use cleaning solvents that actually dissolve the carbon and lubricants that are persistent enough to be with the gun longer than a day was wondrous to me!

    I see what the military was trying to do logistically with CLP, but like so many good ideas...

    Oh and since you did not mention your CMP Distinguished Rifle Badge number, your experience is irrelevant. My military experience is likewise irrelevant. So is my degree in machine design (where you lubricate moving parts!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two words about rifle lube and rifle cleaning: Filthy. Fourteen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's your badge number?

      Delete
    2. Are you kidding? CMP is like having glue injected into your veins. It's like shooting, only with all the fun sucked out. Plus, half those codgers have less muzzle awareness with their long range golf clubs than they would with pool cues. I haven't seen such shitty gun handling outside of a trap range as I did at the last CMP clinic I attended, and at least the trap shooters had the excuse of being half in the bag on whiskey highballs; as best I could tell, all the CMP guys were stone cold sober.

      Delete
    3. I asked because you MUST have a CMP badge to have your opinion count! It is known! ;)

      I agree totally about how it sucks the fun from shooting the way they shoot.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.