21 February 2008

Where Do These Guys Come From

I've been reading an AK vs AR vs H&K flame war in the comments to a blog.

One poster, who's worked for every AR maker in the universe, and knows more than we do, really, just ask him: He's on a tear about this and that and I'm smiling because I know better, I own a couple.

One thing that really pegged the BS meter was him talking about the M855 bullet. He says that it was designed for the M4 and its extended feed ramps. That would be, "Wrong Answers for 1000, Alex." The M855 was designed concurrently with the M16A2, and first issued in 1983. My tank was issued an M16A2 when I was in Germany in 1988. We had the green tipped M855 ammunition as well. The M4 is not issued until 1994. The round came long before the gun.

The extended feed ramps on the M4 are there because the action cycles faster than the M16 and the bullets don't have time to get all the way to the top of the magazine before the bolt grabs them when not in semi-automatic mode.

You'd think that someone who had designed the lefty upper for Stag would know that, wouldn't you?

I think this is the difference between a machinist and an engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.